Frequently Asked Questions
Answers from your Hammond and Schererville memorial & casket experts
Do I have to buy a casket from a funeral home?
No, the Federal Trade Commission’s Funeral Rule requires funeral homes to accept and use a casket bought elsewhere without an additional fee. This means that you can buy a high quality and affordable casket from our company.
Why are the prices at Elmwood so affordable?
Our company began offering caskets and burial vaults direct to the public after the federal government passed the law allowing consumers to purchase these items outside of a funeral home. Due to the markup funeral homes place on these items, the cost of a casket or burial vault can be as much as four times greater than the cost of buying directly from a supplier. This adds an unfair and additional financial burden that most families and loved ones are already facing.
Is there a delivery or shipping charge?
As a rule, there is a $100.00 standard delivery charge for caskets to locations within a 60-mile radius of Hammond, IN. Any delivery outside of that radius may be charged at a rate of $2.50 per mile based on Mapquest calculations. There may be an extra charge for same day delivery and on Sundays or holidays if the circumstances deem delivery during those times to be necessary.
Why does my casket look slightly different than the photo?
Casket manufacturers often change the head panels and/or hardware on a casket without notification. If something looks similar, but not quite the same, please ask. We will be happy to explain. Don’t worry. You’re still getting the same quality casket. It just looks slightly different.
What is an “outer burial container”?
Also known as a burial vault, these containers are made out of a variety of strong metal, steel or concrete. They are placed into the ground as a resting place for the casket and provide protection against the deterioration of the casket, the weight of the earth and heavy maintenance equipment that is used to maintain the cemetery’s lawns. Most cemeteries require them as they prevent the earth from sinking around the casket.
Is it possible to plan ahead?
Yes, it is. We have a Pre-Need Counselor available to speak with you about making specific arrangements ahead of time. It is possible to lock in costs for one year and we offer an additional year at no added charge by simply renewing your pre-registration.
Have additional questions?
Do you have any additional questions for our memorial and casket experts? Contact our casket & monument store in Hammond or Schererville, IN today at 219-844-7009 for more information or to request a free estimate on any of our services or products.
CASKET TERMS & CONDITIONS REGARDING SHIPPING & CANCELLATION
- All casket prices include standard shipping within 60 miles from Hammond, IN.
- Orders for same-day local delivery must be completed by 9:00 a.m. Monday-Friday.
- Next day delivery must be ordered by 10:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday to insure prompt standard delivery. Orders received on Friday after 9:00 a.m. will be delivered Monday. If you require Saturday/Sunday/Holiday delivery, an additional fee may apply.
- If any casket/vault order or service is canceled, you will be subject to a 25 percent restocking fee plus any actual delivery and return charges where applicable (a minimum of $100.00). All customized items are NON-REFUNDABLE .
- Merchandise that requires customization cannot be rushed (Head Panel’s etc.) and requires 24-48 hour production time Monday-Friday excluding holidays. FED EX and UPS ship the Head Panels, so we may experience a delay due to weather.
- Elmwood Casket Company will not accept any product that appears to be used, soiled or in other than original shipping condition for return.
- Special specific delivery requests – $25.00 (time scheduled delivery requests, etc.)
- Second Delivery Personnel- $30.00/hr. (when applicable- Solid Wood,16-Gauge, Stainless Steel, Copper, Bronze models)
- Long-Distance Deliveries- (over 60 miles from Hammond, IN) is additional $2.50/one-way mile.
- Same Day Rush (after 10 a.m. but before 3 pm) $100.00
- Sunday or Holiday – $100.00
- Caskets Shipped – $200.00 Air Tray to protect casket for shipping and $100.00 applicable packaging costs. Please add $30.00/ for 2nd delivery personnel. Additional freight charges from an outside vendor will be figured at time of need.